In order to beginning a rebuild a home owner often has one major hurdle – how to get rid of an existing home or structure. If you aren’t beginning on a cleared piece of property one option is to donate your home or structure to a local fire department as a training house. This is how a previous home was removed to clear space for the Renewal Dream Home.
Lieutenant Dan Curtis coordinates the planning and preparation for training houses for the East Pierce Fire and Rescue in Bonney Lake, Washington. He said that on average their team uses 2 or 3 training homes a year for practice. “It’s a great way for our crews to get experience with a live fire in a controlled environment,” Lieutenant Curtis said. “They can feel the heat without the danger of furniture or things falling on them,” he added.
Each local department has requirements that must be met and donating your home is not without some work and preparation on your part but in most cases you will receive a receipt of charitable contribution not to mention supporting and helping the training of first responders – a cause that is more than worthy and valuable to Renewal Remodels & Additions.
Here is a sample of some of the requirements that were met in this home:
- Demolition permit (county or city)
- Removal of all applicances, hot water heaters, furnances, etc.
- Removal of all composite roofing materials
- Carpets and vinyl flooring removed
- All utilities (gas and electric) disconnected and capped
- An asbestos inspection must be done whether or not you decide to tear down the house or donate it to the fire department.
- If any asbestos is found, the abatement MUST be done by a Certified, Licensed & Bonded Asbestos Abatement Contractor.
Contact the training division of your local fire department for location specific opportunities and requirements to donate your home.
Drills are planned and ordered to make the most out of the donated structure.
Photos of the damage and the source of an intentional fire.
Photos taken of the East Pierce Fire & Rescue on Saturday, January 18